12/28/2005

Waiting a second

Did any of you guys know that we have Leap Seconds? Because I sure as hell didn't.

To: Elliott

I just got the advance of this little gem, and I'm amazed.

Portland artists covering Elliott Smith; from The Decemberists to small unknowns, all the Elliott biggies are on it; The Decemberist's version of 'Clementine' may very well be the saddest song I've ever heard, The Helio Sequence doing 'Satellite' is spot-on, To Live and Die in LA do a version of 'King's Crossing' that'll knock you down, and I'm not sure I ever expected to hear Elliott rapped, as in Lifesavas 'Happiness'.

This may very well be the best all-covers record I've ever heard (knocking both Discovered Covered and Cat Power's The Cover Record down on the small list. I'm still waiting to hear this, which looks amazing), and is definitely worth whatever is charged for it. Look for it next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home